Sunday, January 18, 2009

Three Cups of Tea


Three Cups of Tea
One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time
By Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin


Earlier this week I was fortunate enough to be amongst the crowd gathered together to hear Greg Mortenson speak. It was a bitterly cold night, but the room was packed to the brim. It is not a surprise that so many people braved the cold as Mortenson is worth the trip.

Mortenson is the author of Three Cup of Tea and the man behind the creation of numerous schools in rural areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan and the creator of Pennies for Peace. One of the many remarkable aspects of the schools built in collaboration with Mortenson is that girls are allowed to attend them. If you haven't read his book, I would recommend that you do so. Mortenson's work has recently earned him a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize. You go, Greg!

2 comments:

  1. Trinity! This was the first book I checked out of the library I work at here, and I loved it. This guy is truly remarkable and you are so lucky to have seen him :) I have to admit though--it gives you a bit of a sense of "why can't I do something like that!" Especially when you read that he was bumming around on friends couches and just saving up money to go back all the time--and he wasn't very old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my list of books to read. I might just move it a little closer to the top. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...