Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Birch Legwarmers and the Fluidity of Knitting Mojo


I've noticed a pattern. Every spring/summer, I worry that I may have lost my knitting mojo for good. The idea of sitting still long enough to knit seems like a lot to ask of my body that wants to bike, garden, go to the dog park, walk around a lake with friends and so many more outdoor things. I think about the things I could knit and I just can't think of anything I need or want. I worry that maybe I own all of this yarn and I am not going to want to knit it.


And then, the leaves fall from the trees. The garden dies in phases as the days and nights get colder and colder. The sun spends less time in the sky and the darkness becomes present on both ends of my commute. What was my outfit in the summer becomes a base layer upon which multiple other layers are added. And, with all of this, the urge to knit returns.


It usually returns with such force that I have to hold myself back from casting on a dozen projects all at once. All of the sudden, I have need for hats, wristwarmers, sweaters, shawls, mittens and more. My most favorite spot in the house becomes one with plenty of warm blankets, a pot of tea, a good lamp and options for podcast listening or Netflix watching. I am often joined by a purring kitty under my blanket and a napping dog at my feet.

I don't know why I forget that this is how it goes each year. With a new season, comes a new focus. Each season brings with it a renewed energy for the pastimes that best fit what the season has to offer. With spring and summer, come long days of activity, boundless energy and a connection with the larger world. With fall and winter, a slower pace, a smaller sphere and lots of knitting.


 I did work on a little bit of knitting in the warmer months. These legwarmers were made with the idea that my fall bike riding would benefit from a little extra warmth over leggings. And, it did!



Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Merino in Birches (this colorway was well named!)
Pattern: I modified the Leaf Lace Socks pattern
Ravelry Project Page: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...