Saturday, June 25, 2016

Legwarmers, legwarmers and another pair of legwarmers.


I realized after making a pair of legwarmers last summer and getting a lot of wear out of them in the fall, that they are such a useful thing to have in my wardrobe! I find it an especially good option to have when the morning bike commute is chilly, but the day and afternoon are warmer. They can serve as an extra layer of warmth when needed and removed when the leggings are sufficient enough. So, I knit a few more pairs!


I acquired this yarn through a fellow knitters de-stash. The Marie Kondo phenomenon swept through my knitting group and I became the lucky recipient of this yarn. I believe it was dyed with green kool-aid because, when I blocked it, memories of wonder bread sandwiches, rippled potato chips and lime kool-aid at my childhood babysitter's house came rushing back.

I didn't follow a pattern for these because legwarmers are basically tubes with optional shaping (I shaped these). I used an oblique stitch pattern from the Sensational Knitted Socks book.
Ravelry link: here


Inspired by Melody Leggings, I made these striped legwarmers:



The yarn is Cascade 220 Sport and again it is a tube with some shaping. When I make up my own pattern, I like making 2 at the same time, so I am sure they match. I started that way with this pair, but abandoned that strategy after I got tired of untangling the 4 skeins of yarn. Luckily some notes about shaping and counting stripes made an easy chore of creating a matching pair.

Ravelry link: here

When my friend Jamie saw all of my legwarmers coming off the needles, she inquired about the possibility of having a pair of her own. Conveniently, she already had the yarn she wanted to use but didn't have the time to make them. So, I did. As you might guess, they are a tube. No shaping this time because the ribbing is stretchy.


The yarn is Socks that Rock Mediumweight. I think Jamie purchased this yarn on a Rhinebeck trip, so it is from her deep stash (probably 2009, maybe 2007).

Ravelry link: here

With that, I think I might conclude the legwarmer streak. The motivation to knit them is a lot lower at the moment, considering it is 90+ degrees F outside today. But, when the temps dip in a few months, I will be ready!

2 comments:

  1. Great fashion spread and great tubes! I just finished my first two-knit-at-a-time project, a pair of Rocky joggers by tincanknits. I was thinking of when you showed me how to knit two at a time at Black Friday Knitting the whole time. I am really excited to knit something else this way, however, with the pants I did not have to cast on. Do you cast on each piece separately or together. Seems intimidating to do together. Also, love that yellow bedding! Is that in your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Trinity, you are on a slippery slope! That is a lot of leg warmers! :) I would know about knitting the same thing many many times. (You know of course, I am teasing you)
    Becky D.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...