Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Nobody is Safe

It is winter here in Minnesota, which means when the sun is out, it is bright white. But, the days are short this time of year and not all of them are sunny. When it comes to taking pictures, natural light is pretty universally praised. So, what can you do when you don't have the natural light you'd like? You adjust! I've heard having the right lens can help. After a bit of research, I decided on the Canon 50mm f/1.8. I brought one home this weekend and from that moment on, nobody is my house was spared from the camera.



Not Tchazo.



Not Fanny.




Nor Jack.



Not even Paul, who was the only one whose objections had any chance of being heard. Although, it did help my case that I snuck up on him while he was cooking so he didn't have much time or attention to spare.


So far I am having a great time playing with it and am trying to relearn how close I need to stand to my subject. I guess I had grown really used to having a zoom function!


What about you? Do you have any favorite camera lenses? What does your favorite do well?

5 comments:

  1. I have a Nikon 50mm/1.4 and it is definitely magical. That and my macro lens (105mm/2.8) definitely take the best pictures of smaller things, but I wish I had some versatility too. I use a non-zoom so often that I have a hard time remembering they exist!
    Your pictures look lovely - congrats on the new lens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's funny... I think that might the best picture of Paul you have taken. Love the new lens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-K: I would love a macro, too! I actually traded in a macro lens to buy the 50mm. It was the lens for my film SLR and since it was a pentax mount, it won't fit on my canon.

    Mini: I like it, too! He is pretty relaxed in front of a camera so that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the lens! beautiful pictures :)

    on a side note- your cat looks like mine hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great lens. I have it - or one very similar. You will LOVE it. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...