Wednesday, February 19, 2014

This and That

A bit of a catch-all post of randomness:


Frame stores are pretty!  This one made me want to cover my whole wall in frames snuggled all up against each other at wonderful angles.


Happy Birthday to Jill!  We celebrated with an art opening party, some music by The Cactus Blossoms and then some fancy donuts at Glam Doll Donuts.  It was so fun to spend your birthday together, Jill!


Legos and rubberbands are VERY entertaining.


Part of my birthday present this year was a gift certificate for a monthly homemade meal from Paul.  January, the first month, he made this gorgeous and delicious savory tart.  It had beets and onions and dill and, of course, lots of eggs and cheese and cream.  Definitely one to enjoy in moderation!  He is already kicking my butt when it comes to crust texture and quality.


I am experimenting with a homemade version of Bee's Wrap or Abeego.  For the unacquainted, these products are alternatives to plastic wrap made by coating unbleached cotton fabric with beeswax, resin and jojoba oil.  I think I probably would have just bought wraps from one of those companies except for they both use an unspecified "tree resin" which may or may not be related to my balsam of peru allergy.  I figured since I had a chunk of beeswax already, I would make a few test ones and see how I like them.  So far, so good!  I made 3 different sizes and have been using them with satisfying results.  If/when I make them again, I will take some process pictures to show you how I do it.  The hardest part is grating beeswax!  I should invest in those pellets if I am going to make a large amount of these.


Do you know what is really good?  Eucalyptus leaves in chai!  Locals can experience this delight at Namaste Cafe.  I am glad that my mom and I have plans to go there this weekend because I have been craving another cup of this chai since the day I first had it!


I forgot to show you my felted mitten drying trick: stuff it with newspaper and then stick it on a heating vent.  It's really efficient and helps set the shape you want.


After realizing that the padding on my ironing board was so spent that I was ironing the metal pattern of the stand into my clothes, I sought to replace it.  Since I didn't want to use any synthetic foam, I was grateful to find cotton batting at the fabric store.  I cut a double layer and made pretty quick work of refreshing this old ironing board.  I also bought a pressing ham.  Just try to hold me back now!  I'm an ironing maniac!



2 comments:

  1. If you run out of things to iron, just come over to my house... ...I just had four cross stitch pictures framed this weekend. I stitched them, way back in the 80's and had forgotten about them. At the time, we were getting ready to move and I thought I would frame them when we were in the new house. That was 29 yrs. ago. There were so many frames and mattings to pick from. Hope I made the right choices. Enjoy your weekend. We are finally having some warm weather only to go back to the single digits next week. Can't wait for the spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lynn, I am so with you on the craving for spring flowers! Also, I am quite certain I will find myself 29 years down the line finishing some of the projects I have planned now, too. So many goals and projects, so little time! I wouldn't have it any other way, though. I would venture to guess that neither one of us ever finds ourselves bored.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...