Tuesday, May 6, 2014
After finishing the Wiksten Tank and not loving it, I decided to give the pattern another go. This time I made the dress version with a much lighter fabric.
I was happy about how much faster it went this time. It helps to be familiar with the pattern. I also think I am getting more confident in my sewing skills and pattern deciphering. I sped along pretty quickly and finished this in 2 sessions.
The fact of the matter is that this pattern still creates a very sack-like shape, which I only like when it is belted or drawn in with a jacket or bolero. I am glad I made it again, but I don't think it will be a go-to pattern for me going forward. I think of this as a good stepping stone for some of the more fitted patterns I would like to make in the future.
I was glad to have more practice binding edges. I obviously need even more practice! I ended up employing a bit of creative problem solving (sewing the neck down with 2 lines of stitching instead of one) when it didn't lay that nicely after the first pass.
I think the neckline turned out fine in the end. I love the colors in this fabric and the dress is certainly comfortable.
I wore it out to our anniversary dinner a few weeks ago.
Paul took most of the photos in this post that day except for this lovely one that I took to commemorate our 12 year anniversary:
Ha! It was kind of bright out and it hurt my eyes.
Posted by Trinity at 7:00 AM