Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fugly Mat

This project has been in progress for more years than I would like to admit, almost since I started knitting. It originated from my desire to try out a variety of yarns and stitch patterns. The "concept" for this project was to make squares of equal size from cotton, silk or a blend of the two. I went with any color and texture of yarn that I wanted to and tried out a bunch of stitch patterns. Over time I ended up with a big assortment of random colors of squares. I worked under the assumption that I would eventually sew the squares together into a big blanket and that the randomness would work out well.


At some point I felt the need to start batching the squares to get a better picture of what I was working with. During that process, I ended up with 3 batches of squares including this one:


This is perhaps, the ugliest thing I have ever knit. It is wonky and I think the colors are all wrong. Since making some of these squares I have learned more about gauge and drape so I can look back and know why this is so wonky. But, I put it all together and would feel bad throwing it away. So, I kept it around while I thought it over.


Finally, I offered it to Jack.





Jack likes to be by me while I knit and since he isn't allowed on most of the furniture he is often splayed out on the floor. He seems to appreciate his little pad of knitted softness even if it is hideous looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...