Monday, February 21, 2011

A Day in PJs

Just when I started talking about how it was warming up...and we get another snow storm. Estimates are that we got 13 inches of snow throughout the day yesterday. And, it is still snowing. For the first time in the 2 years I have worked at my job, we are opening late due to the snow!

Yesterday, pretty much right when the snow started to fall fast and heavy, Paul and I made the decision to change our plans so that we could spend the day at home in our pajamas. I had done the grocery shopping on Saturday, so we had no need to go anywhere. We started the day off with a delicious breakfast cooked by Paul.

Then, after he cleaned up the kitchen, I took my turn. I have learned that if I want to eat well during the work week, I need to invest time and energy during the weekend planning, shopping and prepping grab and go options. Breakfasts this week will consist of steel cut oats with candied ginger and an assortment of fruit: frozen peaches, blackberries and raspberries as well as one with fresh bananas.

I also tried my hand at homemade granola. I followed this recipe, except for that I subbed in pistachios since I didn't have hazelnuts on hand and I used maple syrup as the sweetener. I liked the subtle cocoa and salt flavor, but learned that I did not need to roast the nuts. They ended up tasting a bit charred and dry. I will give this recipe another go in the future, perhaps using hazelnuts as it calls for.

After all of this cooking, I cleaned the kitchen and took a break to knit and watch streaming Netflix. I am currently obsessed with Grey's Anatomy and am working on a Goodale sweater that will have been knit entirely while watching back episodes of the show.

Eventually it was time to mess the kitchen up again. This time Paul and I worked together. We made black bean and sweet potato burritos with brown rice. The recipe, from Moosewood's Low-Fat Favorites cookbook, makes a huge amount of filling. We had enough to eat them for dinner, for leftovers this week and to freeze a few for later.

It felt really good to nourish ourselves on a cold and stormy day while also stocking up for later. It also felt really good to wear my pajamas all day! But, now, it is time to get back to reality and shovel our way out of the house. I have to be to work by 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...