Friday, August 22, 2014

Blueberry Fever


In July, I took a vacation day and headed to Blueberry Fields of Stillwater with a plan to pick a ton of blueberries for jamming, baking, eating and freezing. Unfortunately, despite arriving right when they opened in the morning it soon became so hot and sunny that I picked 5 pounds and had to call it quits.


I made jam. Paul and I made a pie together. I ate fresh berries every day for a week.  And then they were gone.  I didn't have enough to put any into the freezer. I was sad.  I couldn't stop thinking, "but I want MORE!"


I thought, "Let it go, Trinity. You are really busy and it takes a good chunk of time to drive out there and pick more berries. Just let it go."  But then, I bought berries at the market that weren't nearly as good and cost way more than the pick your own berries and I thought, "Come on!  You can make it work!  You will be so happy in the winter when you have blueberries in the freezer!"


But the hours for the field are sporadic due to supply timing and they are usually only open in the mornings. I wasn't sure if it was going to work so I tried to make peace with the spoils from my first round of picking.  But the truth was that I still wanted MORE!



And then! Then! They opened up during the evening! And I didn't have a schedule conflict.  And my friend Flannery wanted to go, too! So we left straight from work and spent the whole evening there picking almost up until they moment they closed. While we were checking out they told us the turnout had been good enough that they were now closed for the rest of the season. Phew! At the very last moment, I came away with another 5 glorious pounds and since they wanted people to come out, they had a half price sale that last night!  I think it was meant to be.


For the record, the pie we made was pretty spectacular.  We used this recipe for Whole Wheat Blueberry Crumble Pie, but I didn't bake it as long as it says to and I used almonds in my crumble.


And now that pesky, blueberry-obsessed voice in my head is quiet.  Until next year.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect timing, especially for the half price sale. I have cherries in the freezer, no blueberries this year. I just tell that nagging voice in my head to keep quiet...LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...