Monday, December 3, 2007

Lowell is Lovely

Saturday was a day that was made up of my favorite ingredients.

After a nice relaxing morning with Paul, I headed to Lowell. My life is currently composed of walking, riding the train and short drives for errands. It was a nice change to make the 45 minutes to Lowell while listening to some good music. Abby and I had lunch at Life Alive, caught up and knitted for a while.

One of the many things that I love about Life Alive is their bathroom. It is a place that encourages you to stay for a while. I am sparing you the details from an informative page on the wall that details how to monitor your health by your poop in favor of showing you this photo:

This little cubby hole shelving system is opposite the toilet. Every time I see it I imagine getting one for my house and filling it with a bunch of little yarn cakes. That would be grand.


After lunch we headed over to take advantage of a two-fer. Classic Elite's store and the Western Ave Studios share an old factory building in Lowell. The artists in the studios were having an open studio/holiday art sale. Abby is connected with a lot of local artists/knitters through a knitting group that she started. It was fun to meet some of the great women that she knits with. We spent most of our time at her friend Witchypoo's studio. Witchypoo (aka Lynne) makes gorgeous hand-dyed roving and handspun yarns.


I also really enjoyed looking at the other artist's creations. Liz is a Jane of all trades with her Made in Lowell label. Amanda of Brick Mill Studio is a fellow knitter and beader who was nice enough to give me a book suggestion for bead crocheting and the name of a bead store in Lowell. I know what Jamie and I are doing the next time she comes to Massachusetts!

All of this and I still had time to go home and make a veggie taco dinner with Paul.

4 comments:

  1. They have one of those art dispensers at the Chambers hotel in Mpls. What a strange way to buy art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's quite the same thing as the one in your photo, but you should check out www.artomat.org. They take vintage cigarette machines and turn them into art dispensers. I have 3 different things from them (from 3 different places) and it's always fun to get some original art for only $5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have time to blog, but I do have time to comment. I'd be in to going back next time, just for the hot chocolate! And yes, the chocolate caffeine buzz was pretty exciting! Well, back to homework...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Don't know how I missed this :) Great post and thanks so much for coming by the studio! It was a pleasure to meet you.

    The artomats were definitely the inspiration (OK, he knows he's copying that idea) for the Vendzart, come back to see what's new in the restrooms at WAS! (Hint: It's not a chart)

    Cheers! Liz

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...