Monday, February 18, 2008

Recap

This weekend was packed with fun, friend time. Here is a little recap:

On Friday night I made dinner and caught up on some Netflix watching. Dinner was a doctored up batch of Mac & Cheese. Paul and I love to take Annie's Mac and Cheese and make it a little bit better. This week's version was made with white wine instead of milk and included sauted mushrooms and carmelized onions. Yum! My Netflix watching included National Geographic: China's Lost Girls and Life + Debt. Both documentaries were really interesting and slightly unsettling. I would recommend both of them.

On Saturday Becky and I went to Lowell. Becky hasn't been there before so I needed to show her my usual Lowell haunts: Hub Mills and Life Alive. I got to spend most of the gift certificate that my mother in law gave me for Christmas. I was very disciplined about my purchasing. I only bought yarn if I knew exactly what I was going to do with it. I even came prepared with some patterns to help me shop. I bought a book that had a pattern in it that I can make using yarn from my stash. Now all I need is tons of uninterrupted knitting time to make all this stuff!

Sunday morning started with a Frank Sinatra brunch at Lucky's Lounge. Arturo and Sam knew of this "down-low" "den of cocktail cool" and wanted to check out their breakfast. I hadn't seen them since late December so it was great that our plans could finally match up. If you go there, I would recommend getting the french toast. The bread was like a cinnamon roll. Super tasty.

Sunday evening I drove up to New Hampshire to Abby and Jeff's house. Jill was visiting from New York so we all got together to catch up, eat dinner and drink some wine. Those girls can drink some wine! I am no competition for them. None at all. Abby and Jeff recently went on their honeymoon to Costa Rica so we got to see their picture and hear their stories. It totally made me nostalgic about the trip that Paul and I took there. We were there exactly a year ago!

I realized this weekend that I am slacking on my 3 recipes a month resolution. So yesterday I researched some recipes for dessert. I was overjoyed to find that there are tons of recipes for making Rice Krispy Treats that don't use marshmallows. Ever since I found out about gelatin and its non-vegetarian components, I have been steering clear of marshmallows (with the exception of smores on two occassions). But I love Rice Krispy Treats and get a craving for them from time to time. I made up a batch yesterday that are peanut butter flavored with chocolate on top...just like my mom used to make them! I couldn't tell that they were made any differently. I am super excited that this dessert is part of my life again.

3 comments:

  1. i love trying new recipes, so bravo on trying new ones! i remember you mentioning your vegetarian potluck that you attend... i got the 'vegan with a vengeance' cookbook for xmas, and the recipes have been delicious - i recommend it! some of the recipes take a long time, so read through the instructions to make sure you're not going down the road toward a 3 hour prep, or something... bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice Krispie bars without marshmallows?! How is that possible? What is the substitute? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about how many smores make up an "occasion"...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...