Monday, February 25, 2008

Veggie Bday with Beets

After a Friday afternoon snowstorm (work closed early!) and an unexpected evening of hibernation, we had to venture out on Saturday to procure Veggie Dinner ingredients. Hosting the dinner helped me meet my 3-new-recipes resolution as we tried 2 new recipes: Mushroom Noodle Goulash and Composed Beet Salad from Moosewood's Daily Specials cookbook.



This week is Sylvie's birthday so we turned our non-marshmallow Rice Krispy bar dessert into a birthday cake. A birthday cake isn't quite complete without the little candy letters on top. So, when the first store didn't have any candy letters (I didn't trust myself to use the colorful tubes of icing to create the happy birthday message) I had to trudge through the snow to a second grocery store. I was determined to make the dream happen.

Sylvie's cake read "Happy 67th Birthday Sylvie." Paul added the numbers after we finished placing the "Happy Birthday Sylvie" letters and noticed how many leftover letters and empty space we had.


This dinner marked the completion of our 3rd round of hosting, which means this was roughly the 1 year anniversary of the Veggie Dinner Club. That was a year of good eating!

1 comment:

  1. I've always seen that goulash recipe in the Moosewood and thought it would be a good one. I can't break away from the goulash one I've always made from my Italian Oneida, NY heritage, so I've never tried this one. But, what a yummy dinner! And I love beets! And I still can't get over that you hang out with Ann and Lee so much since we've known them since our Syracuse University days. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...