Thursday, September 25, 2008

Seth Kantner - Talk of the Stacks

I have been sorely lacking in reading material and am eager to get some good books. I have also been wanting to check out the new Minneapolis Central Library building. When I lived here in the past I worked near the library and had occasion to go there for work purposes. I spent many many hours in the original building and in the temporary building, neither of which were that spectacular. When I looked at the website and saw that they were hosting an interesting author, I decided to venture on over, get a library card and listen to Seth's talk.



"Kantner is an award-winning writer, photographer, trapper, fisherman, mechanic and igloo-builder who lives in Alaska. His newest work, Shopping for Porcupines, provides a vivid look at America’s last frontier through a series of moving essays and vivid photographs." (taken from library website)

Kantner's way of life seems to be an extreme version of living in MN in regards to weather: tough winters and buggy summers. The extremes in MN are extreme enough for me. I can't imagine being content in an even more extreme climate and having to deal with the crazy light phenomenon that happens in Alaska. In addition to sharing some of his essays, he also showed photographs of the people, terrain and animals of Alaska. Props to him for writing about his home. It was great to get a glimpse of an other worldly way of life.

Although it probably wasn't the wisest of decisions, I walked the 4 mile round trip to the library. It was a great walk on the way there, but felt a little uncomfortable after dark. I did get to marvel at the great view of downtown from the pedestrian bridge near our house.


2 comments:

  1. awesome job on the walk there and back! go trinity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The talk at the library seemed really interesting! And your shawl looks fabulous - i love all the shades of purple!
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...