Saturday, August 25, 2012

Magic Hour at Fort Snelling State Park

Sometimes I find myself in a span of days that feel entirely too grown up.  They feel too full of work and to do lists and deadlines and making yourself do stuff you don't want to just because you should.  This was one of those weeks.  So, by the time I got home last night I was ready for a change of pace.  I was ready to be a carefree kid for a night.  So, that is just what I did.

Paul and I quickly threw some essentials (and a beer) in a bag, swung by a local cafe to pick up dinner and drove to Fort Snelling State Park.  Since I had to work late, by the time we did all of that and got to the park, we were approaching the Magic Hour.


The light was so warm and lovely.  There were a few families spread around the park, but it was definitely not crowded and we had plenty of space to ourselves.


I went for a swim, feeling thankful for an August evening that felt like the epitome of August evenings in Minnesota: hot and a wee bit humid.  The park is right up against the airport, so I floated on my back as the planes took off overhead.  The point that the planes cleared the trees was the exact same point where the sun was setting.  It was a beautiful, albeit noisy, show!


We enjoyed our picnic dinner and a little bit of time just laying on a blanket.


 I think the whole outing took less than 2 hours, but it did wonders for my soul!

Psst.  If you look closely, you can see a geocache site by the beach :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...