Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thanksgiving and Challah


There is no arguing that I am way behind on blogging.  This post goes all the way back to Thanksgiving!  We were asked to contribute a loaf of challah to the Thanksgiving meal this year.  My mom's husband Roger is Jewish.  He doesn't have a his immediate family around to help keep their traditions going, so my mom thought he would appreciate the addition of a loaf of challah to the meal.  Paul and I were happy to oblige.


Neither of us had made challah before, but we took on the challenge by making a 6 stranded loaf using a brioche dough from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.  Braiding 6 strands is tricky!  Paul read the step-by-step instructions to me as I braided the strands.


The dough rested for a while, got a little swipe of egg wash, a smattering of sesame seeds and then went into the oven to bake.


It turned out beautiful!


My Uncle Bill, Paul and I have enjoyed sharing our homemade goodies and know-how over the past few years.  This year, we brought some of Paul's home-brewed beer, some grape juice and a jar of our recent batch of sauerkraut for a family taste test.  Bill and the rest of the family gave us the seal of approval on all of our offerings.  It is fun to be able to share what we make and especially flattering to have our German relatives who grew up eating homemade sauerkraut approve of our kraut.


Despite Jessy having a bitty boo boo on her elbow, she was able to rally and enjoy the meal.


Thanks to my mom and Roger for hosting the extended family for Thanksgiving every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...