Monday, March 18, 2013

Six Citrus Marmalade

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts regarding Jack's passing.  It helps to know others understand the emotions that come with that type of loss.  Amid the sadness and nostalgia, I am acutely aware that his passing is not tragic.  He lived a long, complete life and I am grateful for that fact.  With each  day that passes, we are establishing new routines as a one-dog family.  Tchazo seems quite satisfied with the extra exercise and love he has been getting.  

So, let's move on to some of the many cheery things in my life.  Like....marmalade!


I brought this burst of color home in late February and spent nearly an entire day processing it.

Ruby Red Grapefruits, Lemons, Blood Oranges, Tangelos, Cara Cara Oranges and Tangerines

But, before cutting into any of it, I needed to have an extensive photo shoot.  Citrus is so pretty!


 The marmalade recipe (Citrus Overload Marmalade from Tart and Sweet), calls for 6 types of citrus, so I've opted to call it Six Citrus Marmalade. This is a particularly labor intensive marmalade recipe as it involves segmenting some of the fruit.  I zested the fruit before I cut the skin and pith off, because I wanted to make the most out of each piece of fruit.  I'll tell you more about what I did with the peels in tomorrow's post.

Segmented Grapefruit, Blood Oranges and Tangelos

Cara Cara Oranges, sliced thinly.  The Tangerines got the same treatment.
The lemons were zested and juiced.


The result is complex, concentrated and delicious.  Last year, Jamie and I made this recipe together.  It is so labor intensive, that I endorse the buddy system for it.  It seemed to take me a really long time this year when I made it by myself.


It is a good thing citrus is so pretty to look at and smell, otherwise I might have been cranky about the amount of time is consumed.  OK, I might have been a little cranky about it anyway, but I still enjoyed the burst of summery feelings this batch brought to a dreary February day.  Since finishing this batch, many of the  jars of marmalade have been being given as birthday gifts.  It seems I know a lot of people with March birthdays! And, of course, we've been enjoying it at our house, too.  It is scrumptious on yogurt and granola.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...