Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tony


G Anthony Smith (November 22, 1978 - June 17, 2008)

Tony and I met during the second week of college in our dorm lounge. Soon after we met we fell in love in a head-over-heels sort of way. We were with each other through many of life's transitions, his dad's losing battle with cancer, a semester of studying abroad in different countries and generally supported each other through those rough first few years of adulthood. We shared many conversations, travels, study sessions, laughter and eventually heartbreak when, after 3 years, it become obvious that we were no longer the right match for each other.

We each grew immensely during the time we were together. He helped me realize the importance of being true to myself by setting an example with the way he lived his life. He could be a real pain in the ass sometimes (and he would admit it) but he always had the best of intentions and followed his heart. Even when he was driving me crazy, I had to admire his attempts to be fully honest with himself and to interact in a meaningful way with those around him.

It took him a while to find his way, but he finally realized what everyone had been telling him his whole life: he would be a great teacher. And, that was what he has been doing these last few years. He was teaching at a school that was a great fit with his personality and his slightly anti-establishment tendencies. I am sure he was the kind of teacher that made students feel confident, motivated and inspired.

Even though we were no longer together, we still stayed in touch, updating each other on life's major events and just checking in to say hi from time to time. We were no longer in love, but still had love for each other. He was such a huge part of my life and it deeply saddens me that he is gone.


On Tuesday, while on a motorcycle trip, Tony lost his life in an accident. Today he will be laid to rest. My heart goes out to his family and to everyone that knew him.

4 comments:

  1. OK, now that made me cry. I have been trying to be strong and accepting of the fact that these things happen for no apparent reason and that despite the fact that his life was cut short, he was still able to impact many people in such a life changing, inspiring way. So that is what I was hanging on to, until I read your blog . . . Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hon. Ouch. I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your friend Tony. My crazy, wonderful, amazing, challenging friend from college, Jayce, died in an hiking accident in Ithaca a few years ago~I can imagine a little of how you're feeling. Peace to your family and his.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trinity, I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and Tonys' family. With all my love, Casey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...