Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Loose

When I first started knitting (7 years ago!) I made my dad a simple rolled brim hat out of Peaches and Cream cotton yarn. I've knit him other things too, but this hat seems to be his favorite. He wears it to work and when working on projects in the chilly Wisconsin outdoors. He has been given my blessing to wear the heck out of it and has been told not to fear throwing it in the washing machine when it needs it.



When I was in MN in April, he showed me the well worn hat and mentioned that he would like another one just like the blue one he already had. It is pretty unheard of for him to express desire for tangible items, which makes it really hard to get him gifts. So, knowing that his birthday was coming up, I made a mental note that he wanted a hat.



After a trip to A.C. Moore to get some Peaches and Cream, I pulled out the same pattern that I printed out in 2001 and set to work trying to make him a fresh version of the hat he already had. Well, it seems that I have become a loose knitter throughout the years! I cast on for the smallest size and after a few inches it was apparent that this was going to be a much larger hat than I would have expected. But, I thought, this was the exact same pattern, needles and yarn that I had used before so it MUST be right. I remained in denial all the way up until the point that I had woven in the ends and asked Paul to try it on. It was ridiculously large.



His birthday was fast approaching so I had to act quickly. I took some measurements and adjusted the numbers of the pattern in order to resize it. After sizing it down, I was able to quickly work up a well fitting blue version and a second bonus hat in brown. I sent them on their way so that they would arrive in time, but in my haste to get them in the mail, I forgot to take a picture.

What I do have is a picture of my attempt to salvage the oversized hat. I folded the rolled brim and tacked it down.


I am not yet sure of the fate of this hat, but hopefully the ones that I sent to my dad will be worn enough to need replacing again in a few more years because that's how I know he likes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...