Thursday, April 7, 2011

Beginning Kumihimo

I have started my foray into kumihimo braiding. And, so far so good. It takes way more time to do the setup than it takes to actually braid it. So, this is only a technique for someone who doesn't mind stringing lots and lots of beads.

For those who have not seen kumihimo before, it is done using this disk. You move the threads from one place to another, placing beads each time to create the beaded cord. Here is a video I found that explains the basic movements:


It is pretty fun to see how the beads all line up by each other and how the threads all overlap to hold them into place.

The bobbins are really helpful as they help keep the process tidy. I'm noticing that the cord has a natural tendency to swirl. Making this cord has helped me visualize how I might make color patterns through stringing different colored beads in different sequences.

So far I have not made anything out of the cord that I finished, but when I do, I will show you that, too.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love following your posts and seeing all the crafty things you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe all the crafts you do!! Your Jill of all trades in the craft world! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...