Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tangy Chive Sauce

I mentioned earlier that I would share the recipe for a chive-based green sauce that I have been making lately.  Well, as my mom warned me, I better get it out there fast since fresh chive season is at its prime now (or at least in Minnesota, it is).


For this sauce, you will need preserved lemons.  They are really easy to make and have become a staple in our kitchen.  Lemons plus salt plus time equals a burst of tangy, tart flavor that adds a welcome zing to so many savory dishes.  It really sings when paired with lentils, which is why I knew it had to be a part of this sauce.

Tangy Green Sauce

2/3 c. olive oil
1/3 to 1/2 c. champagne vinegar (white wine vinegar would be a fine substitute)
1/2 of a preserved lemon (I use the rind and the flesh)
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
a fistful of chives (about a 1/2 to 3/4 c. if chopped)

Simply place all of these ingredients together and blend until smooth.  A high speed blender like a vitamix works splendidly for this task.


I can imagine there are many potential uses for this sauce, but I haven't moved past pairing it with lentils and roasted veggies.  My first round included cauliflower, carrots and parsnips (roasted at 400 degrees F until a bit browned) and french lentils all mixed together with the sauce.


It was a wonderful, albeit not the most beautiful, dish.


Another version I made involved beets, onions, carrots, cauliflower and brown lentils.  That version was even less visually appealing, but equally delicious.

The combination of the salty, tangy sauce with the earthiness of lentils and the sweetness of roasted veggies is a total pleaser for my palate. And, judging by my empty bowl at the food swap potluck, it was enjoyable to them, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...