Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's a trade.

Sally recently approached me with an offer of a commission. She found a necklace that she liked on the internet but it was too expensive and not exactly what she wanted. She asked if I would be willing to make a necklace for her and she would pay me for it. I was flattered that she asked me but I am always a little uncomfortable when money is exchanged between friends. Sally had also mentioned that she would be willing to barter if I was interested. I thought about her offer and we were able to settle on a trade.

We collaborated on the choice of beads and here is the result:


The necklace is made of sterling silver chain, wire and findings with labradorite and red glass beads.

I had enough extra labradorite beads that I was able to make a bracelet as a surprise for Sally.

In exchange for the necklace I received two skeins of Dream in Color's Smooshy sock yarn. I chose this yarn because I bought a skein when I was in Minneapolis and haven't seen any for sale around the Boston area. I left the color choice up to Sally. She said there were slim pickings left for colors which gave here a choice between purple, brown and pink. I am happy with these. They are going to make excellent socks. I think that semi-solid yarns make for really fancy looking handknit socks.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great looking necklace! I like the way you put the beads on the back next to the clasp - very classy. The bracelet is cool too! I hope she likes it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...