Saturday, September 1, 2007

September 1st - Moving Day for Suckers

Today is September 1st in Boston, which if you are familiar with the rental market here, is when almost everyone's lease expires. The result is an annual frenzy of people trying to move into and/or out of their apartments and a fight-to-the-death competition to get a moving van. It is on this day three years ago that Paul and I moved into our current apartment. We definitely had our struggle in getting a van and finishing our move. I feel ever so lucky that I am not participating in that fiasco today. Instead of moving, I get to enjoy a beautiful day and hours of crafting time.

I started out the day by going to our local farmer's market. It is the time of year where $5 can get you a really nice looking bouquet, the produce is plentiful and perfect and the weather is comfortable. I love this time of year.

After finishing a few other errands, I have devoted the rest of the day to making stuff and reading Harry Potter. I wasn't someone who snagged a copy during Harry Potter release madness. I knew I would get around to reading it eventually. I was recently lucky enough to have gotten my hands on a copy of the book thanks to Miriam and Sylvie. Unfortunately, I am over halfway through the book and I feel like this one is a bit of a let-down. I am waiting to pass complete judgement until I have finished it, though.

As far as making stuff goes, I just finished making some felted soaps. It has been awhile since I made my last batch and I've given them all away. That means, I am without a felted bar for use at our house. As long as I was going to make one, I might as well make a dozen, right!?

Here are the soaps before felting.


Hard at work.



It is a wet, sudsy, shoulder fatiguing process.

The finished soaps.


Click here for a rough explanation of how to make felted soaps. I also use felting needles to secure embellishments and the wrapped layers before I felt them.

6 comments:

  1. Are you serious?!?!?! First of all, Mark and I also scored a free copy of Harry Potter (just today!) from our friends, Genevieve and Justin! DON'T SAY ANYTHING, okay?

    Secondly, HOLY CRAP to the felted soaps! What an awesome project! I want to learn. Do you get to really use them as actual soaps or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! We're all out of felted soap, too! And I don't even remember giving any away. We'll have to felt some of that shee-ought ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were allergic to wool? Doesn't your skin react to this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey folks. The soap is intended for use. Think of it like having a washcloth attached to your soap. Having the wool around it also makes the soap last longer.

    As far as the wool bothering me, it seems to be just fine. I've been using felted soaps for a year now and haven't had any issues with the fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you see the article about your felted soap making I did at: http://felting.craftgossip.com/2007/09/02/felted-soap/

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Trinity,

    I gave credit to all that helped us learn to make felted soap. This is the updated posting.
    I found these little jewels on a site named; “TRINKNITTY.” For how-to make “felted soap” go to: INSTRUCTIONS: Earth Guild Riffs . Trinity sent a comment saying “I would like to clarify that I did not invent this technique. I learned it at a workshop taught by Heidi Luegers at Circles Knitting Salon. but this site is under under construction and will be back up at the end of september. I also cannot take the credit for the written instructions.” Thanks to Trinity giving credit where credit is due and I have made the corrections here. I know I will try a bar or two, what a sweet gift

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...