Saturday, May 31, 2008

Poncho

In addition to the seasonally appropriate shrug, I also have an out-of-season finished project to share.

I was inspired to make this after trying on a sample at the Hub Mills Yarn Store. I bought the pattern book from that store but knew that the yarn (4 skeins of Nature Wool Chunky) was on sale at Webs so I waited until my trip to Webs to get the yarn.

The pattern was written by Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton, is called Kotan Poncho and IT MADE ME SO MAD!! It was a one page, seemingly simple pattern except for the fact that the numbers were wrong at many parts of the pattern and the instructions for the decreases at the top of the pattern were awful. They were so awful that after following them once, I ripped back and did what made sense to me. My version looked a lot better and preserved the stitch pattern while also decreasing. I shouldn't have to rewrite the pattern especially not when it was a pattern that I paid for! I seriously want my $18 back. I bought the pattern book just for this pattern and it was definitely not worth the money.

Despite the badly written pattern, I am happy with the end result and can imagine this keeping me warm and cozy in the winter. However, I will not be buying any more patterns from this designer or from the publisher of the pattern book. Seriously people, test knit it before you slap the price tag on it, please!

3 comments:

  1. ahhhhh! i HATE finding errors in patterns i paid money for - it makes me so mad! the ironic thing is that i find errors in free patterns much less often.

    sometimes, you can find corrections on the publishing site's website... but i wish i didn't need to know that... find some test knitters, people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    The biggest joke of all was that I already had the errata and it STILL had so many mistakes that the errata didn't correct!

    Trinity

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh NO!!!! that stinks!! i love the outcome though - you did a great job! i think i like it better then the sample, even :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...