Thursday, July 1, 2010

Homemade Pesto


Our Earth Box full of basil plants is bursting at the seams. I had always planned to make pesto with it, but I didn't know I would be starting this early! I made the first batch over the weekend. This one is a traditional pine nut pesto. I made enough to yield one jar for the freezer and one jar for immediate use. I followed this recipe and found it to be simple, fresh and delicious.


There is still plenty more basil to use, so I will soon be making a version with walnuts and a version that includes sundried tomatoes.

It is a good thing we finally got our basement chest freezer. With all of this preserving, we will be filling it up in a hurry.

6 comments:

  1. yummmm! let me know how the walnut pesto goes...just found out charlotte is allergic to pine nuts, but walnuts are ok, and I have to have my pesto in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, it's such a gorgeously vibrant green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm yum! we do a farm share and ended up making pesto with sunflower seeds and nutritional yeast the other night. a touch of lemon juice finished it off an it was delish! there's so many great varieties. let us know how the walnut pesto goes - i've never tried it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm pesto - we makes our with walnuts and cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making basil aioli. It's also fast and easy and makes a great veggie dip for all of those other veggies soon to be coming out of your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ladies are full of great suggestions. I have plenty of basil to play with, so I am going to try out some of your versions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...