Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Like Mozzarella Sticks

For a few years now I have been toying with the idea of fried zucchini blossoms. I remember having them served to me when I was studying abroad in Italy and I remember liking them. I have recently noticed that a lot of farmers are selling them at the market. I even went so far as to buy some last year but then didn't get around to cooking them in time (they spoil REALLY fast). So, when it came up in conversation with Beth recently and she sent me a good recipe, I went out to the garden, picked some blossoms and gave it a try.


Upon opening the first blossom I discovered a big bee hanging out on the pistil of the flower. I closed the flower back up and set that one outside. I am not about to fight with a bee over a flower. The bee wins! I moved on to the other flowers and was thankfully not surprised by any hidden bugs in those.


I stuffed the blossoms with a mixture of cheeses, herbs and garlic. Then I dredged them in egg, coated them in flour and fried them. I am sure plenty of meat eaters would think this technique to be unremarkable, but this vegetarian was treading on new ground! I breaded something! I fried it!


I would love to show you photos of the finished goods, but we dunked them in marinara sauce and ate them up so fast that I didn't even take a picture. They were good.

1 comment:

  1. These sound so delicious! Thanks for sharing, I will be passing this on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...