Monday, August 30, 2010


I had a particular vision in mind when I started this shawl. The purple went well with the variegated and was supposed to tone the variegated yarn down a bit. The fibers matched, the weight matched...match match match. It turned out that they matched too well for my taste.

What I wanted was stripes. What I got looks like a purple-based variegated yarn. The resulting effect isn't necessarily bad. It's just was not what I wanted and I am having a hard time getting past that.

I did enjoy knitting the pattern. I like how the designer, Stephen West, wrote the pattern so that is interesting to knit, yet has some spans of mindless knitting mixed. It was a balance that allowed me to knit it social knitting environments without screwing it up.

The only thing I changed about the pattern was that I blocked it into points. The pattern was written for the edges to be flat, but mine begged to be pointy.

Lesson learned on pairing matchy-matchy yarns. Too bad I had to knit 900 yards of fingering weight yarn to learn that lesson!

1 comment:

  1. It may not have turned out exactly the way you wanted, but it is beautiful!!! I love it!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...