Sunday, August 29, 2010

Last Weekend

Last Saturday was a hot summer day. Sally and I had planned long ago to go on an afternoon Mississippi cruise and it just so happened that the day we picked turned out to be perfect for it!


The cruise was through Padelford Riverboats. They had a historical narrative pumping through the speakers as we cruised the river, but I think the most enjoyable part for me was being out on the water, seeing the sights and boaters and birds pass by.

And, the ice cream we got from Izzy's afterwards was enjoyable, too!


After the cruise and ice cream, I headed home to make dinner. I made gazpacho with all of our own produce. In fact, I modified the recipe so that I could use what we had on hand. My mods included omitting the celery and tomato juice. It seems Paul and I crave gazpacho once a year, so now we have 2010 covered.

On Sunday, my mom and I drove to Wisconsin to spend the day with family. We took my 92 year old grandma out for an exciting day filled with family, a picnic and a visit to the park/zoo. She got to feed the goats. Watching her reaction was one of the highlights of the day for me. She giggled like a little girl!

We stopped at the "antique mall" on our way out of town per my request. The place has a mishmash of rusty old stuff outside, so it catches my eye every time we drive through town. After showing me a few knitting books from the shelves that I wasn't interested in, my mom asked if there would be any old knitting books that I would like. I mentioned that I would be excited to find anything by Elizabeth Zimmermann or Barbara Walker. A minute after my request, my mom spotted an old copy of Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmermann. The bookshelves were not organized so it is amazing she spotted. So, I bought it! The copy I got looks like it could be from 1971 and I paid a whopping $3! I don't have any of her books, so I am really interested to read through it. I am not sure if any of the patterns in that book will call to me, but I am glad to add it to my knitting library.

In addition to my appreciation for a great book find, I also enjoyed the 2.5 hour drive each way. My mom and I rarely have hours where we can just sit and talk. We got to talk over some family history stuff and catch up on what has been happening in each of our lives. A good weekend, indeed.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...