Sunday, May 13, 2007

How does your garden grow?

My garden is planted! Paul and I got the last of it in the ground today. And, what is even better is that Paul ventured into the basement and figured out how to turn the water on so I can use the outside water spout. No more hauling water from the apartment to keep the plants alive! Let me give you a tour of the garden in it's infancy.


Potted Herbs - Basil, Rosemary, Dill, Tarragon, Mint and Mint

Last year I had a potted mint plant and my neighbor, who used the garden space I have now inherited, decided that it needed to be in his soil instead of in my pot. He took it upon himself to perform the unauthorized transplant. What that meant for me this year was an unbelievable underground maze of mint tubers and sprouts throughout both sides of the garden space. I wanted to have a potted mint plant again so I kept a very small part of what I dug out of the garden and stuck them in pots.



Apparently another remnant of the garden from last year: potato.

Paul was turning the soil so we could plant the new stuff today and he came upon two potatoes deep in the soil that had sprouted. We stuck them back in and watered them. Does anyone know if these will grow more potatoes?



The current superstar of the garden: spinach.
There are potentially critters or bugs that have found our garden space. So far they have limited their consumption to one of the 6 spinach plants we have. This one is doing the best of the 6 plants. We'll be all set if Popeye wants to join the Veggie Dinner Club.



Garden View - Back End - Kohlrabi, Broccoli, Spinach and Beans (not sprouted yet)


Garden View - Front End - Beets (not sprouted yet), Tomatoes, Lettuce

1 comment:

  1. Your garden looks great! And, yes, you should get more potatoes from your sprouts. You just have to resist pulling them up and eating those sweet baby potatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...