Monday, May 21, 2007

Rain, rain, rain = Knit, knit, knit

Thanks to Mother Nature, I had a guilt-free excuse (3 straight days of temps in the 40s and 50s and constant rain) to put on my newly finished purple sweater, pop in an audio book and knit, knit, knit this weekend. Needless to say, I was quite productive.

The Baby Surprise Sweater is done except for sewing on the buttons. It really is quite a fascinating process to knit, fold and seam that baby up (no pun intended!). The pattern was created by one impressive mind (Elizabeth Zimmerman). Here are some pictures to illustrate how the transformation from flat, misshapen blob to neatly folded sweater.
Flat - showing right-side of work

Flat - showing wrong side of work

Half-folded

Seamed and ready for buttons


Detail
If you look closely in some of those pictures you can see that the flat sweater takes up a large part of our dining table. This sweater is not so much a baby surprise sweater but more of a child surprise sweater. The difference in size is due to the thicker yarn and larger needles that I used. I enjoyed making this pattern as the construction of it remained somewhat of a mystery until I seamed it at the end. Finding out where the stripes were going to lay and how the colors were going to work together kept it interesting. My striping became more frequent at the end since I went right down to the end of my supply of three out of the four colors. Seriously. I had the tiniest amount of each yarn left. The yarn was donated by Circles Knitting Salon so I didn't have labels or know how much yardage I was dealing with. It was a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants project, which is what I hear would have made Elizabeth Zimmerman happy.

Since I finished the sweater up this weekend I was able to move on to something involving all of this Fleece Artist sock yarn I have been hoarding. I'm saving that for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...