Saturday, April 26, 2008

MN Tidbits

When it rains, it pours. No posts from me for a long time and then whammo! Three posts in one day. That is how I roll, I guess. Here are the last tidbits from my MN trip. After this post, I should be caught up to the present.

My mom's birthday was in February, but since I knew I'd be visiting her in April, I decided to take her out for high tea to celebrate belatedly. She thought we should wear hats or really, it seems she thought I should wear a hat and she should laugh at me and my silly hat!

We left the hats in the car and went in for tea at The St. Paul Hotel. It was delicious and I loved having that much time to sit still and talk with my mom. We were both a bit jittery from all that tea and had to switch to chamomile in the middle! We both talk fast to begin with but put caffeine in us and we can cover a lot of content in a short amount of time.

Jamie and I treated ourselves to a little time at a nail salon. Jamie thought it would be a good idea to get a pedicure before she loses the ability to see her toenails! I got a manicure so that I would have nice looking nails for the high tea I had with my mom. We can both count the number of times we have had our nails done on one hand, so it was a special little something we could do together.

Jamie and I also had time to cook dinner. We shopped at the Wedge for the ingredients to make some new recipes from the Vegetarian Times magazine that arrived right before I left home. I read it on the plane and was set on making some of the recipes the first chance I had. Luckily Jamie was willing to go along with my plan. We made a fig, goat cheese, caramelized onion and rosemary spread, a vegetable soup, and a baguette. We also made rosemary, lemon, butter cookies for dessert. Don't worry, the wine was for me!

Also, I am sorry I didn't take any pictures, but I also enjoyed the company of Sally and Mike over a tasty Mexican Lasagna dinner one evening. And, I had a good bit of time to get caught up with my dad. He fed me delicious homemade pizza with mushrooms that he had foraged for and then sent me on my trip home with leftovers.

Ever notice how much I talk about food? I like good food and it seems I like people who like good food. (Jessy, I still like you even though you like to eat ramen noodles :) There has to be an exception to every rule.)

Lastly, here are some words of wisdom from the bathroom wall at the Seward Cafe.

2 comments:

  1. Now, doesn't everyone know that it is in poor taste to go to high tea without a hat and gloves?! Our class (or lack of) was showing! It was a wonderful tea and I thank you again for thinking of such a great way to spend an afternoon. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trin, that hat is so YOU.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...