Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I Heart Baby Goats

I have to confess. I've turned into a stalker. I've been stalking this amazing new idea launched by Susan Gibbs of Martha's Vineyard Fiber Farm. She is selling her second round of Yarn CSAs.

Finances have been pretty tight for me lately with recent vet bills, my trip home to MN and acupuncture treatments consuming what little extra money I have each month. So, I've been watching the Yarn CSA on Etsy as the number of shares has dropped steadily for weeks waiting for my checkbook to have a little money in it. I've been sharing my excitement about the CSA with friends and cheered as they bought their shares. Well, when the number of available shares recently plunged, due in part to the Martha's Vineyard Fiber Festival and in part to recent publicity, I snatched one up.

Why would I buy something I can't exactly afford at the moment? If you ask Paul, he'd tell you he is really glad I did because now I don't have to keep updating him on how many shares are left. Based on how often I felt the need to share those numbers with him, I knew I would be sad if I missed my chance to participate in this opportunity. It isn't just the yarn that is of interest to me, although I am excited about that too. It is really about the idea of participating in the success of the CSA business model. If Susan succeeds at this, she will be paving the way for other small fiber farmers to offer Yarn CSAs. I want to be able to knit with yarn that I know is from animals that are loved and well cared for and I like feeling a connection to the creature my fiber comes from.

Plus, baby goats are so dang cute! Don't believe me? Then check out one of Susan's blog posts.

4 comments:

  1. what are you doing acupuncture for? just curious.
    love ya!
    jer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm..... intriguing! i just started spinning, and getting some local fiber is an interesting idea. i'll have to give it some thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, baby goats are very cute! Do you remember bottle feeding them when you were little? And laughing at their antics of jumping just for the joy of jumping?! I am looking forward to visiting the farm with you in June. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not help myself either. I bought a share of the fall clip. It took me a week of going back and forth and watching the available count go down. Finally I just decided I would regret it if I didn't.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...