Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Nightly News

I became aware of some knitting drama yesterday. It's been brewing for a while but I was unaware of it until I went to check out the latest issue of MagKnits and this hit me in the face. As many knitters have been expressing, it was a total shock to have a fairly significant resource disappear in an instant. For the non-Ravelry members who are interested in the series of events, this blog has a good summary.

Many, many bloggers have covered this event and hundreds of comments have been posted in multiple threads on Ravelry, so I am not posting in attempt to add a new perspective. I was totally hooked on what everyone else had to say about it and read lots and lots of posts throughout the day yesterday. I think I may have been trying to piece together the big picture of what happened and why. Needless to say it was on my mind throughout the day.

Knitting is such a huge part of my existence, my community and my life that when something like this happens it is BIG NEWS to me. The funny thing about that is that many of you reading this probably don't care. That is, if you are still kind enough to be reading something I've written despite not caring about it. However, I am so invested in the well being of the knitting community that it matters to me when stuff like this happens.

When I got home last night I turned the news on in the background while I was doing some stuff around the house. I had this fleeting thought as I was listening to the newscasters and the thought was something like this, "I wonder what they will say about this whole MagKnits thing." Ha! My semi-subconscious mind actually thought that this was such major news that they would have to mention it. Of course, I realized nearly as soon as I had the thought that it was a totally ridiculous thought because yesterday was home opener day for the Red Sox. Nearly the entire newscast was all about the "home team." Wouldn't it be a better world if knitting got some airtime on the news?

2 comments:

  1. I've also made two updates on the situation since then. It's been quite the kerfuffle, as my one commenter described it. Sad, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Do you remember Animal of the Day, Trin? It certainly wasn't a resource and it also wasn't a business ... but it was a blog that people liked, and that I chose to suddenly eradicate because of harsh words and bad blood. The blogosphere is a weird place, and sudden changes can really jar people. I'm sorry you've lost this treasure trove of patterns. Sucktastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...