Thursday, September 3, 2009

Project 365: Day 152

September 2, 2009
Watering is Tricky



Nearly a year ago, Paul and I moved back to Minneapolis. Wow! A lot has happened in the past year. Luckily, we are happy and healthy and feeling more and more settled each day.

As a welcome home/apartment warming gift, my mom generously took me plant shopping. She provided me with a budget and together we picked out the plants. After going to at least 3 stores, I ended up with these plants:

2 Variegated Boston Ferns
5 miniature cactus plants
2 Kalanchoe plants
1 big mother-in-law's tongue

It has been a year since I became responsible for keeping these 10 plants alive. To date, I have killed off both Boston Ferns and 2 of the cactus plants. The Boston Ferns died off bit by bit as we watered them. We think it was because they hated being touched and they were hung in a place that required them to be touched when watering. Lesson learned. I will not buy plants that cannot be touched. The cactus plants died because I over watered them. Watering is tricky business! You have to know what each plant likes and consistently provide them with it.

On the bright side of things, the Mother-in-Law's Tongue plant is thriving, the other 3 cactus plants are doing fine and the Kalanchoe plants have gotten a lot bigger. So, even though I lost a few along the way, I think I am doing OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...