Thursday, January 20, 2011

Botticelli Herbivore for Becky

Becky and I had agreed to hold off on exchanging Christmas gifts until I was in SLC. I am glad we did because I got to give her the shawl I had knit for her and take a few shots of her modeling it.
This is the Herbivore pattern by Stephen West knit in Malabrigo Sock in the color called Botticelli Red. Ravelry project link. This yarn did one of those numbers where it jumped off the shelf and into my shopping basket even though it wasn't on my shopping list. I loved the color, the name of the color and generally love working with everything Malabrigo makes.

I enjoyed knitting this shawl so much that I started another one as my knitting project for the trip. It made for the perfect mix of mindless knitting without being coma inducing.


Stephen West's patterns seem to have a crisp elegance about them. I enjoyed the unique shape that resulted from the placement of the increase sections.

The twisted stitches in the ribbing look quite smart after blocking.

I used a different bindoff technique than the pattern specifies and I really wish I had taken notes. I have already forgotten which one I settled on. I tried a handful of options before I found the right one. I guess I will have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to binding off the second one. Besides the bindoff, the only other modification I made was to keep knitting until I ran out of yarn. The shawl seemed like it would have been too small if I had stopped at the stated measurements. I am glad I kept at it, because I think the finished sized worked great for Becky.

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful! Now I'm itching to cast on... I do have some luscious Happy Feet in my stash... :-D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...