Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bring-Along Slipper Socks

I have a few more Christmas items to share, but I haven't given them to the recipient yet. So, for now, how about a little selfish knitting?


Minnesota is a cold, cold place in the winter. Much of the socializing that is done in the winter is done in people's homes. It is a common thing to bring your slippers with you when you go to a friend or relatives house. My old pair of slippers had gotten completely worn out and I found myself without a bring-along pair.

So, I knitted up the Log Cabin Socks from Handknit Holidays, a pattern which I have been wanting to make for ages. I then found some lovely, lined suede soles and some leftover sock yarn. I went to work attaching the soles with a blanket stitch.

Attaching the soles was tricky! I tried to pin them into place, but it didn't work very well. I ended up getting the job done by trying them on, then taking them off, sewing a little bit and trying them on again. Sometimes I even sewed them while I was wearing them.


In the end, I am really happy with how they turned out. They are not perfectly placed in the soles, but they work just fine. And they fold up and fit into my bag quite nicely. They have already kept my feet warm and happy at a few houses and will be coming with me when I go to visit Becky in Utah this weekend.

Ravelry project link
Inspired by this project

2 comments:

  1. THOSE are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...I SO can relate to "the bring-along slipper" to others' homes. And can I please pay you to make me a pair? Hee hee. Have a great trip if we don't talk before you leave!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...