Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

The year has come to an end, so it is time to reflect on my resolutions from 2010. I actually had to go back and look at my blog yesterday to remind myself what my resolutions were . That is not a good sign! I think, if I remember correctly, it was about mid-year when I stopped reminding myself of them. But, let me reflect on how I did anyway.

Here is the full explanation of my resolutions and my reasons for choosing them. The short version is that I made it my goal to Settle Down and Settle In. The purpose behind these resolutions was to see if I could be content living a more relaxed and less goal-driven life. I wanted to see if I could be happy and content with things just the way they are.

As it turns out, that is a HUGE challenge for me. I do not do well with coasting and at first look, I didn't abide by my resolutions at all. This year was challenging for a few reasons, including Paul getting laid off and job searching for 6 months before he found his next job. Also, during that time, it became apparent to me that I needed to change jobs for my own growth and happiness. In the midst of this instability, we were dealing with a serious illness in our extended family and I worried about money, about things that could go wrong and about what would happen if they did.

But, you know what? When I really think about it critically, I made big progress on what was truly behind my resolutions. I became better at recognizing when I needed to let things go because I didn't have the ability to influence them. I identified when I was in a position to change things and I made the changes that I needed to. I made a conscious effort to accept when things needed to happen at their own (slow) pace and when it was appropriate to give things a little bit of a shove to get them moving.

I think the biggest lessons I have learned from trying to settle down and settle in are that it is a constant challenge to manage stress and to live mindfully. I learned that I will always be working towards goals and striving for growth, but that having those goals doesn't mean that I can't also be content in the present and appreciate how fortunate I am to be where I am right now.

Onward to 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...