Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Bag For Me

For a long, long time I have been dreaming of owning The Swift by Tom Bihn.

Photo from Tom Bihn website.

It got great reviews (see here for a detailed review) and seemed like it would be a great dual purpose bag. This bag was designed in collaboration with knitters and thus, has design features specific to the needs of knitters. It is big enough to carry a knitting project, book and the usual items I bring to and fro on a daily basis. However, the price is steep, I was always skeptical about the lack of exterior pockets, felt it should have a top zipper and wasn't totally in love with the color choices. Still, I thought that I would likely buy one at some point.

That is, until I decided to poke around for some other options and found the Allston Tote:

Photo from EMS website.

This one ain't much of a looker either, but it has some super neat-o features. It is a similar size to the Swift bag and made of the same durable Cordura fabric. The Allston is a padded tote bag that stands up on its own without being really heavy. There are two flush zippered pockets on the front and a full size open pocket along the back. There is also a clip for keys and a zippered pocket on the inside. And then, there is my favorite pocket of all time:

Photo from EMS website.

This photo is of the padded, recessed, zippered pocket that I think is meant for a water bottle. Most of the time this pocket houses my Nalgene bottle. When I want to bring a banana to work this tall, cushioned pocket becomes a built-in banana cozy. I love it! When I get to work the banana is not smashed, bruised or otherwise mangled from my commute.
I have been using this bag for the past two weeks and have been nothing but happy with it. It provides all the function that I was hoping to get from The Swift bag and it costs less than half as much.
I know not everyone gets this excited about a bag, but there are many of us that find utter joy in finding the bag that does it all. And, the icing on the cake: the bag was on sale when I bought it (and still is until July 8th)!

1 comment:

  1. You know I get excited about bags ... although, they are not generally knitting bags! I think you made an excellent choice, Trin. I'm sad to think, though, that this highly functional tote may have supplanted your need for knitted fruit cozies. MISS YOU.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...