Sunday, August 31, 2008

August Recipes

I still don't have an internet connection in the new apartment. I am at a local coffee shop to connect for a bit. It is amazing how much I have come to rely on the internet for information. I've been missing it for getting directions, store hours, using email and lots of other stuff. I sure hope we get this internet thing resolved stat.

August's version of the New Recipes Resolution was pitiful, but for good reason. Very little cooking was done at all in August. We are moving and it is hard enough to get food in our respective stomachs at the appropriate time amongst the moving chaos, much less cook from new recipes. I only made one new recipe this month and it was for the last meeting of the Veggie Dinner Club:


Blackberry Tartlets from Vegetarian Times


We did eat really well for some of the meals in August, as we wanted to revisit our favorite places to eat before we moved. One of the special highlights was eating at Helmand. Their food is so delicious. I especially love their vegetarian entree called "Special". Really. That is what it is called on the menu.


In lieu of the usual bread and butter, Helmand serves freshly baked flatbread with an assortment of sauces. If you sit in the main dining room you can see them making the bread in the huge oven.


Special

All of the food on the Special plate is delicious but my favorite is definitely the Kaddo. I've had it elsewhere and it just doesn't compare to how they make it at Helmand. We ate at Helmand after my last day of work. The combo of great food, a whole bunch of wine and a day of "lasts" left me so satisfied and exhausted, I went to bed right after dinner.

1 comment:

  1. oh dear :( i've had to contend with apartments like that in the past...not so much fun! i'm sure you and paul with all your creativity will have it spic-n-span and funly appointed in no time! good luck!!! i wish i could come over and help out!

    by the way, the tree (?) is doing just fine out in the breezeway with lots of sun and company! and so far has not been used as a privy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...