Sunday, August 24, 2008

Boston Harbor Islands

With an unexpected free day today, Paul and I had time to do another one of the things on my "to do before I leave" list. I had pretty much written off the rest of my list, because I thought we were out of time. It was excellent to have this bonus time. And, it was a great day to spend outside.

We took the Harbor Islands Express to two of the Boston Harbor Islands: Georges and Spectacle.

It was nice to share this time on the water with Paul, since he opted out of last weekend's Whale Watch.

Our first stop was Georges Island, home to Fort Warren.



On top of the fort walls, there are trees. Some of them were growing parallel to the ground!



We spent most of the day on Georges Island, but we also stopped at Spectacle Island before heading back to Boston. Spectacle Island exists in part due to its use as a landfill and as a dumping ground for earth displaced by the Big Dig.



We are both a little sunburned, but happy to have been able to spend the day taking in some new sights and viewing some familiar ones from a new angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...