Monday, March 9, 2009

The Cedar

Wow. What a weekend. I think I need a weekend to recover from my weekend. Besides the stuff I already blogged about (dinner and jewelry making with Mom, puppet show with Sally), I also fit in the requisite weekend errands, yarn shopping, a belly dance class, a knitting group, getting some necessary things done around the house, some hanging out with Paul and a volunteer shift for a show at the Cedar.

I started volunteering at The Cedar Cultural Center in February. During my first shift, I met Brianna Lane who was performing as part of a hootenanny style show. She was knitting on stage and, during the few minutes I poked my head into the show, I heard her mention that she hosted a knitting group. After the show, I snagged a little time with her to find out the details. Since then, I have been regularly attending her knitting group at the Cars R Coffins cafe.

This time around there was no knitting involved, but I did get to sit in on part of Cheryl Wheeler's show. She was great! The stories she told and the chatting she did between songs was quite witty and her songs were engaging and beautiful. Cheryl's sense of humor is evidenced by her percussionist playing her cat's ashes as a shaker in the recorded version of the song Cat's Birthday, which is about said cat. I am not making that up. She called the instrument a "catash". Clever, clever.

The Cedar hosts a lot of singer/songwriter musicians so I am sure that I will get to discover more exciting musicians through my future volunteer shifts. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY G!!! I can't believe it was the Cheryl Wheeler show you volunteered for. I absolutely LOVE her!!! Mark and I saw her a ton in CNY and, of course, at the Old Town School in Chicago. I have to get back to volunteering at the Cedar, if nothing else to see my faves. I'm so jealous you got to see her. She's an oldie, but a greatie!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...