Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Melville's

On Sunday, Jill and I met up for a little coffee and sweet stuff at Cafe Latte. Then we headed over to the Mitchell College of Law where the Yarnery was hosting Sally Melville and Caddy Melville Ledbetter.



The Melville's were in town to talk about their new book Mother-Daughter Knits: 30 Designs that Fit and Flatter. One of the greatest things about going to this kind of event is the table of samples! Knitting is such a sensory thing. It is really helpful to be able to see, touch, feel and try on the garments from the book. The photos in the book are nice, but I am normally much more convinced that I want to make things when I have seen them in their three dimensional form.



There were some projects in the book that I would likely have never been interested in if I hadn't seen them in person. Specifically, the Mother-of-the-Bride Cardigan. It is made partially in a lace weight yarn and partially in a worsted weight yarn. The combination of thick and sturdy with light and lofty and the use of lace stitch patterns in both weights of yarns is really striking.



I was so taken with the Melville's focus on altering patterns to fit and flatter and their application of that concept to the patterns in their book that I shelled out the $30 and got it signed by the lovely ladies. It sounds like they both enjoyed the process of creating the book and they told us to expect a book of Christmas related items to be published as a follow-up to this book. They promised that their Christmas book will NOT include red, white and green things. I'm interested to see what this mother-daughter team will publish next.


2 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to be able to shell out the $30 when you want to? Hooray for being employed! Can't wait to see what you make next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you and hang out! And the mother-daughter presentation was cool. I aspire to making that little gray shoulder shawl thing Daughter was wearing.

    Love that purple scarf in your next post. Also looks aspirable for a half-a**ed knitter like me.

    I'm going to Texas this week for a conference -- gotta find out if they let knitting needles on planes now...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...