Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2010 Resolutions

Now that I have reviewed how I did with my 2009 resolutions, it is time I formally declare the areas I would like to focus on for 2010.

My biggest focus during 2010 is resolving to Settle Down and Settle In.

I have learned over time that I have a serious aversion to letting things get stagnant in my life. I always feels like I have to be working towards some larger goal, be it a degree or a new job or a new place to live. In the past, this aversion has caused me to live while focusing all of my energy on one big goal right after the other. This wouldn't be a bad thing except for sometimes it results in glossing over what I have achieved and not appreciating what is happening right now. When I look back over the last 15 or so years of my life, there has always been some BIG things I had my eyes set on, some thing that required immediate sacrifice in order for bigger and better things to occur in the future. Some goal that I would look towards while thinking, "things will be so great when X is accomplished." Well, I think I have finally gotten to the point where I would like to see what it is like to coast for a little while.

Settle Down: Included in this resolution is accepting the things that I cannot change right now. I will consciously refrain from spending my time and energy getting stressed out about the economy, job security, and preparing myself for the many, many what-if scenarios that could occur. In short, I will make efforts to settle down and go with the flow a bit more. To let go of the many, many things that might happen, but that I have no control over. If I can't take any action, I will try to just release it from my worries. Releasing these worries will free up time and energy that I can use towards settling in.

Settle In: I won't make goals towards any major life changes during 2010. I will instead spend my energy enjoying the things in my life that deserve to be recognized and appreciated like my relationships with people, playing with my furry family members, creating things, taking care of myself, gardening, making good food, reading, exploring the area in which I live, etc. I will allow myself to be what I would have formerly called "stagnant" this year and I will see how it feels.

The caveat: I am planning on opening an Etsy store this year. Opening an Etsy store is a goal that will challenge me, but I feel like it is not a goal that is at odds with my resolution to Settle Down and Settle In. I have been thinking through my motivation for opening the store and what it would both take from me and provide for me. The conclusion I reached is that it would be a fun way to expand upon what I enjoy doing already: creating things and sharing them with others.

So, there you have it. My resolutions this year are not easily measured, but rather, they provide me with a mindset I will strive to adopt this year.

4 comments:

  1. Those are good resolutions! I am sure you will find peace and joy in all the little things you will now have time to embrace and experience. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how much I wish I was in your shoes and able to settle into anything at this point in my life. This year for me is a big question mark and lots of freaking out caused by that. Maybe next year I'll be able to settle down and settle in a little bit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Beth! I feel for you. That is not an enviable place to be, but your approach to it is good (looking for the opportunities within it). I hope something great comes up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have a lot in common... lee is always wishing i thought about "today" a little more. i'll be interested to see how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...