Sunday, February 7, 2010

Extreme Percussion


Savage Aural Hotbed

In addition to all of the fun I had at the Art Shanties, I also had tickets for a concert yesterday. I accumulated enough volunteer hours at the Cedar Cultural Center that I could exchange them for 2 free tickets. So last night Jessy and I went to see the Twin Cities Heavy Hitters - Extreme Percussion show with Savage Aural Hotbed, Batucada do Norte and Barinya. She and I both love percussion music and were interested to see Savage Aural Hotbed in person. They define themselves as such:
sav'age, adj.
2. wild; untamed; fierce
au'ral, adj.
1. relating to the ear
hot'bed, n.
1. a bed of earth heated artificially...for growing plants in a cool or temperate environment...in a figurative sense, any place that fosters rapid growth or development
Savage Aural Hotbed, grp.
1. a place where wild sounds grow
2. four people who can't seem to use containers, auto parts or power tools in the intended manner
Before they came on, two other groups performed. Barinya, a West African drumming group, started the night off with a blend of traditional rhythms and unique covers of reggae songs. Next up was Batucada do Norte, which is a community samba group that plays with an infectious energy. Both of these groups had me up and dancing almost the whole time. And, now I know the name of the group that performs in the May Day parade!

The Savage Aurel Hotbed performance, in my opinion, was conceptually interesting but, at times, quite obnoxious sounding. They claim to play "rhythmic barrages of pulsating, percussive music" and I agree. One of the many interesting, self-created instruments they played was a PVC bagpipe. They also were debuting gloves that had contact mikes in them.

Overall, the night was great fun. We danced, we listened, we watched and we went away delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...