Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A pair for a pair.


A wedding present for my friend Becky and her new husband Kyle.  These are my first attempts at potholders and I think they turned out to be a relatively good pair.


The front is a mixture of fabrics and the back is a panel of the striped fabric you might recognize from a recent project!


I included a loop of ribbon in case the newlyweds prefer to hang their potholders. There is a double layer of cotton batting in the middle to make them able to do their job. I don't have a walking foot, so I had to futz with things to keep all these layers feeding through evenly.  The corners got a bit thick and hard to sew through.


I was inspired by the instructions from my girl thursday's blog post.  Since I wanted to use the cotton batting I had on hand instead of the kind Chantilly had on hand for her instructions, I didn't sew my strips to the backing.  I sewed the 4 layers together after they were all cut to size and then turned it right side out with a little area I had left open.  Sometimes it is really nice to sew things that don't have to fit a person!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...