Friday, November 28, 2008

Aprons and Apples

For the first time in 5 years, Paul and I were able to spend Thanksgiving with my family. We had a great time creating our own traditions and celebrations with friends in Boston, but it definitely isn't the same as celebrating Thanksgiving the way you have for 20-some years.

There were lots of cooks in the kitchen, as we do Thanksgiving as a coordinated pot-luck style event. No one wants to mess up their outfits, so luckily my mom had enough aprons to go around.


(me in the apron I wear whenever I cook at my mom's house)


(Bill and Roger in their aprons, demolishing a turkey. I obviously do not come from a family of vegetarians!)

It is also tradition to pass around the Christmas wish lists after the meal so that the adults can coordinate who is buying what for the kids. Christmas lists have come a long way since I used to present my handwritten list to the adults. Hannah and Spencer have gone high-tech!



Our other traditions include an after-the-meal-but-before-dessert walk and a few rounds of the game Apples to Apples.



My cousin Hannah has started to knit! She brought her knitting along so I got a sneak peak at the Christmas present she is knitting. Her teacher taught her how to knit and it seems like she has a lot of friends that are also knitting. She is hoping to get yarn and needles for Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed for her!



It was great to see everyone and share in a great meal. It was also nice that Paul was there since he hasn't had a chance to be around my family very much. We were only dating for just over a year by the time we moved to Boston, so most of our relationship has happened away from Minnesota. I think he enjoyed being in the midst of the family dynamics. I know my mom was impressed that he helped her do the dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...