Saturday, November 8, 2008

Palette Cleanser

I recently discovered a pattern in my knitting that I had not previously recognized. That pattern is: knit something time consuming like a sweater or lacy socks, then knit a few washcloths while thinking about the next big project, knit the next big project, rinse and repeat.



I find that I tend to crave knitting a washcloth as a sort of palette cleanser in between large projects. There is something immensely refreshing about whipping out a few washcloths.

Washcloths are great to knit for many reasons. They are useful. They allow you to play with color and texture in a very low risk way. They make great gifts. They are good for stashbusting. And, as I heard the Mason Dixon Knitting ladies mention at their Yarnery event, knitting below your skill level is OK. I definitely understand that concept. I like to knit projects that teach me something new or challenge my skills in some way, but I also find knitting something repetitive and comfortable to be just the right fit sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Soon I am going to knit that very same washcloth, and for the same reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. this looks exactly like the cloth you made me and mark. we use it all the time and LOVE the pretty colors while we wash. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...