Sunday, November 30, 2008

Topdown V-Neck Cardigan

Pretty much everything I have been working on lately is for Christmas gifts. As usual, there will be a parade of FOs after Christmas. For now, I have to catch up on a few things I haven't posted yet.

I finally figured out what I was going to do for a closure for my moving cardigan.



After deciding that I didn't want to go the route of handmade frogs for fear that they would be too big and bulky, I bought some from the fabric store. I brought them home, set them on the sweater and thought that they made the sweater look decidedly Asian. I asked a few other people and they agreed that it didn't work. As I wasn't really looking for an Asian inspired cardigan, I finally settled on a metal clasp.



This pattern has some issues. If I had followed it as written, I would have had huge sleeves at the armhole, stranglingly tight sleeves at the elbows and a big bell at the end. That shaping did not work well with my body shape, so after a few false starts while watching the first presidential debate, I came up with a slightly better sleeve. I picked up less around the armhole, reduced less stitches by the elbow and gradually returned to the same number of stitches as I had picked up to make the flared sleeve.



My other issue with this sweater has nothing to do with the pattern and everything to do with the yarn. I bought a whole bag of this yarn and it was all the same dyelot. Yet, somehow, half of one skein was dramatically lighter than the rest. Of course, I didn't notice it until the sweater was basically done and I was too mentally done with this sweater to re-do it. That may have been a mistake. I haven't worn it since it has been finished and it might be due to that dang stripe!



This sweater is the Neck Down Shaped Cardigan #241 from Knitting Pure and Simple. I used 9 skeins of Classic Elite's Renaissance.

4 comments:

  1. I think this sweater is lovely despite the stripe! The clasp works really well and I think you should start wearing it everywhere. It is very flattering. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful sweater! nice job :) i miss seeing your parade of knittings at veggie dinner, but hope you and paul had a great thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pics! I like the stripe, actually, and I love the clasp. It's beautiful. I am always so impressed that you can make stuff like this. Right now I'm still working on figuring out my holiday card for this year...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...